first hour, we review a little to get back in shape from the week gone by. Be ready to finish your projects.
- After our discussion last Thursday of how to motivate and apply a lens, I decided to write a small chapter on how to do this after 2.3 vectors. Please read it and consider if this would have been a good idea to assign in the second or third week of classes: 2.3 Z Lens Motivation and Application
- Please review Statics Video – but this is optional. It’s not assigned.
- Explanation of Veritassium Bullet Problem
Make some time to discussion projects.
second hour, We look at angular momentum as stability.
- See video on Inclined Plane using Only Energy (no kinematics at all!) (3.5 minutes)
- See video on how gyroscopes can stabilize boats.
- See Veritassium video on how angular momentum provides increased stability against rotation.
- Please check out PS #9, Due next Tuesday in class,
- Angular momentum and Gyroscopic stability. We have some cool demos for this.
- Why must we spin frisbees or footballs to make them fly stable? What is counter steering on a motorcycle?
- Hand in PS #8. Work on some of the questions together.
Post Video Project tonight
Do some midtern #2 from years past – they cover the 2-D work we are doing just this last two weeks.
first hour, we explore precession.
- Here is a precession video I made recently to explain precession.
- read 10.8 in your text about precession.
- Please see Precession by Veritassium , a super professionally made video. You’ll let me know if it’s more helpful than my video.
- Optional: Here is an old precession video I made a few years ago. It’s long and slow with lousy graphics, but it has over 3000 views, so some people found it helpful: Pete’s OLD Precession Video
Explore precession with a special activity borrowed from mechanical engineering
- Big Exam! #7
- Make sure video project is posted tonight