Efficiency and Renewable Energy
Monday’s Class :
- I received an anonymous letter, presumably from a student in this class, expressing appreciation for me as a human and recognizing: that I’m having a hard time, that there is widespread despair due the present state of our planet, and that practitioners in the field have commit suicide. I find it a kind proactive act to let me know that I’m valued. Thanks. I don’t know why Alex killed himself, but his family was more sad than they were surprised. So, he had some pre-existing emotional/medical challenge. However, it’s a good bet that climate change was not a contributing factor. Just the opposite. There was just too much to do about it. The people at ERG (Energy and Resources Group) are well through the 5 stages of grief and well into “how do I want to be in all this?” It is an incredibly up beat and optimistic place. In fact, no one even complained about Bush at the time, because everyone were so busy finding ways to counter his environment-damaging policies. I imagine they don’t have time now to bitch about Trump. As for me, it’s been a difficult year or so… but things are actually good. Since we’ve begun exploring other possibilities that were previously not an option, there’s been greater harmony at home. Also, I’ve found myself closer to Tekuru for which I am grateful. I also see this relief of tension that we’ve been struggling with for some time as transition to the fifth stage of acceptance. “How do I want to be in all this?” I want to learn and teach. I want to be of support to you, our students, and to our society. I want to be a good father for Tekuru, for Neil, and a good husband for Robin even if it means becoming a good X-husband. There’s lots to be done and I plan to be around for as much of it as possible. Thanks for reaching out. I find great wisdom in the last line, “it never hurts to remind people they matter.” Back at you.
- Here is the slide from the Brooklyn Children’s Museum. Hey, so I showed it to Neil (10 years old). He told me what was wrong with it.:
- No problem set due today, but I’ll collect your midterm corrections Wednesday (copy of MT#2 on main class website). Please redo your midterms. Make sure you understand everything you missed.
- Please see Lighting Efficiency and Slides
- Could it be that our electricity use is decreasing???
- Please read Jevon’s Paradox
- Please read Helicopter Date , Yes, you may ask yourself “why did we read this?”… “what does it have to do with the previous article?” See if you can come up with a good answer.
- If you like this class and especially the global development facet, please consider taking a project-based class, PSC-392, Appropriate Technology for the World’s People, Development. You can find the course description on the department website.
- Please consider attending this mixer, for Environmental careers!
- Rather than drying your clothes with heat, why not just blast the water out of them with sound waves? Come to class prepared to tell me why ultrasonic drying is 4 times as efficient as conventional driers.
- See video: Heat Pump Efficiency and slides
- Note: Heat pumps don’t pump hot air from cold to hot, they move thermal energy to a hotter place. Can you explain the difference?
- See this professional video about setting up an OTEC facility in Hawaii by Makai
- See this 2 minute summary where I discuss OTEC from Wikipedia
- What about Geothermal Power? What’s happening today?
- Read about Nancy Pelosi’s awkward viral interview in this New Yorker Story written by Bill McKibben (of 350.org). To be clear, you don’t have to watch the video. But read The New Yorker story and be prepared to argue your degree of support for or against McKibben’s points.
- Please read through the experiences of your colleagues’ Empathy Self Intervention.
- Take a look at this NPR article about the effect that empathy can have on society. Would you have been able to respond the way Patton did?
- please read through my comments on MT#2 posted on the main class website.
- The class expressed interest in talking about the anonymous letter and my response to it. Please consider what you find of value in this. We will talk about it in class.
- Please bring in the Watt meters. Make sure you use them first.
- Give me Watt meters back please.
- September 18, 2018 City Council meeting (Item #13) Council Agenda Report.
- What a Real Climate Program Looks Like – https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/5/7/17306008/climate-change-global-warming-scenarios-ambition
- PS#6 is posted on main class website. Please read through it and address the questions. It’s due Monday in class.
- Please read through the Empathy Interventions Reflections collected during Wednesday’s class.
- We talk with Chris Read!
- Hand in **Perfect** MT#2 corrections