We will measure distance, speed, acceleration, momentum, force, energy, power.
1. View Drawing Kinematic Graphs for credit. The following is also available and is more thoroughly and covers more material, but is optional.kinematic graphs, LIVE! I strongly recommend it, but you may feel compelled to forward through the beginning as it is very much like the other one.
2. View Smarter Every Day Grasshoppers, and for homework, you repeat his experiment with the other grasshopper, we can plan our trip to the track tomorrow.
3. I graphed my motion without Tracker. Please view: Graphing running
4. I graphed the motion of a ball without Tracker. Please view: Graphing a ball toss.
- 2.6 Problem-Solving Basics for One-Dimension
- 2.8 Graphical Analysis of One-Dimensional Motion
Day 2: We go to the track and make movies of ourselves running, running up bleachers, dropping or bouncing balls, etc. Homework is to try to analyze the data with the same software from the Smarter Every Day video above.
Problem Set #2: PS2, Due Monday, OCt. 6.
Day 3: We finish our analysis.
(1) Bring in a discussion of your exercise. What happened with the kinematics? Dynamics? Momentum? Energy? If the momentum or energy changed, how is it that no law of physics was violated?
(2) Graph your displacement, velocity, and acceleration as a function of time.
(3) See video from Monday’s classwork: Graphing Kinematics
During Class: I will give you a graph of one of the following: displacement, velocity, or acceleration versus time. You will draw time graphs of the other two quantities. Watch this video again for practice if you can: kinematic graphs, LIVE!
- 7.7 Power
- 7.8 Work, Energy, and Power in Humans
- Energy, Work, and Power
- Celest 425 W (added for future classes)
- Solutions for Problem Set #1: Questions 2 and 3 and Question 4 (the accelerating car)
We analyze our data and find the Energy, force, and power as a function of time.
Quiz: I will give you a graph of one of the following: displacement, velocity, or acceleration versus time. You will draw time graphs of the other two quantities.