- Please think about something that is rarely talked about but is of prominent importance in sustainability: population control. Why is it that no one will touch this issue (other than the Chinese in the last generation). What should be done? What CAN we do?… or are willing to do?
- Happiness and resource use. Please see this excellent (in my opinion) article in NPR that explicitly weighs these two issues.
- Please see video Efficiency and see efficiency slides.
- Please finish PS#7 posted on main class website.
- Rather than drying your clothes with heat, why not just blast the water out of them with sound waves? Come to class prepared to tell me why ultrasonic drying is 4 times as efficient as conventional driers.
- See video: Heat Pump Efficiency and slides
- Note: Heat pumps don’t pump hot air from cold to hot, they move thermal energy to a hotter place. Can you explain the difference?
- See this professional video about setting up an OTEC facility in Hawaii by Makai
- See this 2 minute summary where I discuss OTEC from Wikipedia
- What about Geothermal Power? What’s happening today?
- Read about Nancy Pelosi’s awkward viral interview in this New Yorker Story written by Bill McKibben (of 350.org). To be clear, you don’t have to watch the video. But read The New Yorker story and be prepared to argue your degree of support for or against McKibben’s points.
- Take a look at this NPR article about the effect that empathy can have on society. Would you have been able to respond the way Patton did?
- Please bring in the Watt meters. Make sure you use them first.
- Give me Watt meters back please.
- Please see Lighting Efficiency and Slides
- Please read Jevon’s Paradox
- Please read Helicopter Date , Yes, you may ask yourself “why did we read this?”… “what does it have to do with the previous article?” See if you can come up with a good answer.
- If you like this class and especially the global development facet, please consider taking a project-based class, PSC-392, Appropriate Technology for the World’s People, Development. You can find the course description on the department website.
- September 18, 2018 City Council meeting (Item #13) Council Agenda Report.
- What a Real Climate Program Looks Like – https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/5/7/17306008/climate-change-global-warming-scenarios-ambition
- Read how the globe is getting greener – in good and bad ways.
- NPR article about Environmental Impact of Food Choices and the calculated figures that compare different foods.
- Please read my letter to SLO commissioners regarding Phillips 66 Oil Train Proposal. Our officials rejected Phillips 66 proposal to build a rail spur that would bring oil trains to their refinery – through San Luis Obispo, by Cal Poly.
- Please read: Faced with the US retreat on Climate Change, Europe looks to China for leadership.
- The Pope, Politicians, and Business Interests
- The Daily Show attempted to explain some of the political issues in a language and humor common to the public.
- Environmental Justice: Who benefits most from carbon dioxide production? Who bears the burden most? Poor Countries Demand Payment.
- weighs these two issues.